What is Elderberry?
- Vitamin C: There are 6-36 mg of vitamin c per 100 grams of fruit.
- Dietary Fiber: Contains 7 grams of fiber per 100 grams of berries.
- Phenolic Acids: Powerful antioxidants derived from fruit.
- Flavanols: Phytochemicals naturally found in plant-based foods.
- Anthocyanins: Plant pigments that give berries their distinct color.
Homemade Elderberry Syrup Recipe:
- 3 1/2 Cups of Water
- 2/3 Cups of Organic Elderberries
- 2 Tbsp of Ginger Root Powder
- 1 Tsp of Organic Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp of Ground Cloves
- 1 Cup of Raw Organic Honey
- Pour water into medium saucepan and add elderberries, ginger, cinnamon and cloves.
- Bring to a boil and then cover and reduce to a simmer for about 45-60 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for 5-10 minutes.
- Mash and stir berries using spoon or flat utensil.
- Pour through a strainer to filter out elderberry skins.
- Discard the elderberries and let cool until lukewarm.
- Add honey and stir 5 minutes until smooth.
- Pour into mason jar or glass bottle and store in the refrigerator.