That’s right, we said it: Sweet. Potato. Brownies.
Once again, our C.N.C. Julie Wood has blown us all away with a recipe that takes what we thought we knew about a classic dish and turns it upside down. Hot out of the oven from Julie’s Kitchen, these gluten-free, vegan Sweet Potato Brownies not only think outside the box (literally!)… they are simply divine!
Try ’em out for yourself and see why it’s okay to kick it up a notch and add some uncommon ingredients to your classic dishes!
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Peel and steam sweet potato(es) until tender. Mash in a processor or with a fork and repeat with other potatoes if needed to get 3/4 cup.
- In a small bowl, combine chia seeds and water. Stir. Let sit for 5 minutes until jelly-like in consistency.
- Over a double boiler, melt coconut oil. Remove from heat and stir in mashed sweet potato(es), cacao powder, coconut sugar, vanilla and chia seed mixture until well blended. Fold in coconut flour and chocolate chips, being careful not to over-mix.
- Pour into a parchment-lined or non-stick 8 x 8 baking pan and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool and enjoy, placing the leftovers in the fridge.
- The coconut oil will cause these brownies to firm up, so I like to under-bake these! This is safe to do since there are no eggs in this recipe.
How did yours turn out?? Did you add any special ingredients? Share with us in the comments!