This post first appeared on Piping Rock. All content is theirs.
Love lobster in the summer? Love mac and cheese? Then these Lobster Mac N Cheese Balls are for you!
When it comes to summer foods, there are a few staples; BBQ foods like burgers, chicken tenders for kids, and seafood. As for the latter, it’s not just any seafood, it’s lobster. Buttery rolls stuffed with tender lobster meat, or whole lobsters waiting to be cracked open then slathered in creamy, warm butter.
It’s a luxury food synonymous with longer days and breezy sunny weather. Perfect to eat at the beach, or in today’s case, right in your backyard. We’ve taken the favorite appetizer of mac n cheese balls and put a twist on it by adding lobster.
The result? A summer appetizer that is going to be a crowd-pleaser.
Make the lobster mac n cheese first.
Gather your supplies:
- 1 lb bag of large pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 oz. white cheddar, grated
- 2 cups sharp cheddar, grated
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1-2 lbs. cooked lobster meat
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
Step 1: Make Your Pasta
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Drain in colander and return to stockpot.
Step 2: Melt Your Cheese
- Melt butter over medium heat in large saucepan.
- Once melted, add shallots and sauté until soft.
- Add flour and stir for 1 minute until combined.
- Whisk in milk.
- Bring to a slight boil, whisking constantly.
- Add cream, both cheeses, salt, and pepper.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Stir together until all cheese is melted.
Step 3: Combine All The Goods
- Mix in pasta and lobster.
- Pour into a large baking dish.
- Bake until golden. This will take about 20–25 minutes.
- Refrigerate until firm
Next, make the mac n cheese balls.
- 2 cups Vegetable Oil
- 2 eggs, beaten, in a bowl
- 1.5 cups breadcrumbs
Remove mac n cheese from the refrigerator
Using an ice cream scooper, make balls.
Dip each ball in egg then roll in breadcrumbs
Place on greased parchment paper
Bake in the oven on 350 for about 5-8 minutes.